Thursday, May 1, 2008

What matters for you? Money in pocket OR Brain in mind!!!

Software engineers earn good money. And i have seen many people who are willing to have or get very quick promotions. But i don't want to be a manager soon. I want to spend much time as a developer. I want to learn and understand so many things because i think manager do not get time for learning and have busy schedules, sometimes i think how do they get time for their personal life, family? i have seen people who have calls untill late night. Life is not just about spending weekends with family, is it? On weekdays working hours should be normal for anyone, not more than 9-10 hours.

Today, i was reading an article and i liked one line (title of this article) very much and thought for a while about it. I realised that it says a lot.

I think, If we are running madly after promotion (indirectly after money, i do not mean that promotions are bad but they should be through usual ladder and it varies from person to person), we are probably gaining nothing but compromising our peaceful life and losing valuable moments of life just to get early promotions. And that too for something which will not stay longer; we will spend it somewhere pretty soon.

I would prefer doing things using brain (no hurries) and working for myself not just for the purpose of completing an assigned task and pleasing my manager. While doing my job i want to learn as much as possible and know internals of technologies (because it gives me satisfaction), does not matter if it earns me less money.
And i have experienced that willingness to gain detailed knowledge gives ultimate satisfaction and that is what we want from our lives.

I know some of the readers might not agree with what i said but this is what i think and we all free to write what we think? :)

My choice is brain in mind over money!!!!!

No comments: